SO, we finally got some snow

When you have general news to share - put it HERE (If it's tech related please put in the tech news zone)

SO, we finally got some snow

Postby DaFoxx » Tue Feb 27, 2018 11:30 am

and the world goes mental here :shock:

less than 2" / 50mm of the white stuff here, and the roads are in chaos :P
temps still at or just below freezing, it seems to have stopped for now, but as it is so cold, it will freeze overnight, and then the fun will really begin

I work nights now, so hopefully, I will be back home in bed before rush hour and the idiots come out to play

stay safe all

how the fuck there are ANY Canucks left I don't know, cousin sent a picture of their house, you can just make out the rooftop gable, if you look real hard, it drifted to over 20 FEET in places :shock:
Beware of Geeks bearing GIF's :mrgreen:
DaFoxx
DaBOSS

Re: SO, we finally got some snow

Postby SirDice » Wed Feb 28, 2018 4:36 pm

It's icy cold down in the low countries too. There's a high pressure system "stuck" somewhere above Scandinavia. That means the wind is blowing from Siberia across land towards us. Although the actual temperature is around -5C it feels like it's -15C. The wind just cuts right through you.

I've seen some snowflakes but it's not a lot. The Frisians are going mental right now of course, due to Elfstedentocht. But it's going to need to freeze a lot more and a lot longer to make it possible again.
Oliver's Law:
Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.
SirDice
I've posted HOW many

Postby DaFoxx » Wed Feb 28, 2018 8:04 pm

still below freezing here, has been all day, and I work nights now, so will be watching tonight as 'The Beast' arrives :shock:

but where I live, just cold, the snow we got still there, and just a few flurries through day, it is threatening to go nutz though
DaFoxx
DaBOSS

Postby DaFoxx » Fri Mar 02, 2018 2:10 am

seem to be 'lucky' here
no real snow, so I can get to and from work ok, most of team are snowed in at home, so we are running a skeleton staff just now, wind is rising though, and temp still way below freezing
maybe if we just got a couple of foot of snow, then it thaws and we can get on with spring please :P :)
DaFoxx
DaBOSS

Postby Opus » Fri Mar 02, 2018 12:42 pm

Weenie, back home, around 4 years ago, we got 100 inches of snow in 3 days, I'm from around 100 mile east of Buffalo NY
There are two rules for success in life:
Rule 1: Don't tell people everything you know.
Opus
I type, therefore I am

Postby DaFoxx » Fri Mar 02, 2018 7:56 pm

Opus wrote:Weenie, back home, around 4 years ago, we got 100 inches of snow in 3 days, I'm from around 100 mile east of Buffalo NY
:shock:

I doubt if the UK would even survive that much across the whole of winter :)
we DID have a real bad winter in 1963 :P 100 consecutive days when temperature didn't get above freezing, and it snowed almost every day too

my dad built me a sledge, so mum could take me to school :)
we didn't have a car, the days of a one car fanily were decades away, we didn't even live in a one car STREET :shock:
DaFoxx
DaBOSS

Postby SirDice » Tue Mar 06, 2018 6:27 pm

DaFoxx wrote:we DID have a real bad winter in 1963 :P 100 consecutive days when temperature didn't get above freezing, and it snowed almost every day too

That same year we had an Elfstedentocht that's still considered to be the most epic edition. The weather was terrible, of the 10.000 participants that started only 69 managed to finish. Conditions were so bad they made a movie about it; The hell of '63.

In the meantime, weather down here changed significantly, in just 2 days the temperature went from -5C to +10C.
Oliver's Law:
Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.
SirDice
I've posted HOW many

Postby DaFoxx » Mon Jul 23, 2018 3:19 pm

reminded me of the winter of 1981, we went to -23 degrees C here, and the snow kept on coming, I was working / living in Spain then too, and we had a bike rally on the W/E before Christmas, so, as I needed to show off me tan :P :) I went on back of my mates combo [ not THAT feckin daft - 2' of snow, and more coming ] went in a denim cutoff and a T LOL
got there, had to be picked off bike, and placed in fromt of fire in pub, they left me there, and gave people around me the instructions of "when the steam turns to smoke, turn him round" :P

and TODAY, we are in the middle of a HEATWAVE, no real rain for two months, blue skies mainly, temps in the high 20's and about to hit the low 30's ffs

loving it, as I remember sat in car a few months back shivering in -5 and waiting for car to warm up and defrost windows so I could go home :shock:
DaFoxx
DaBOSS

Return to News Room