Where is the bloody global warming when you want it!

Where to go for and post Political chatter and gossip, including Government screw ups, Military covert operations, top secret files, anything related to Government.
Morganlefay
I've posted HOW many
Are you a Spammer: No

Re: Where is the bloody global warming when you want it!

Fri Jan 08, 2010 4:33 pm

Well we dress in multiple layers here to stay warm....because its fookin freezing outside...300 bloody degrees inside.

I have a very nice long down Bench winter coat that I wear in weather like this.

This weekend I am going to be enjoying the snow and am going cross country skiing with the new beau....I have a new Sun Ice ski suit that is the warmest winter gear I have ever owned. with hat,mitts and flask of brandy....I will be down right toasty :mrgreen:

Good luck mr Asp...stay warm.

MLF

A computer once beat me at chess, but it was no match for me at kickboxing.

rapier57
I've posted HOW many

Fri Jan 08, 2010 4:57 pm

Well, if your new beau was doing his job, you wouldn't need all that to keep ya warm.
Rapier57.

Jayne: Testing. Testing. Captain, can you hear me?
Mal: I'm standing right here.
Jayne: You're coming through good and loud.
Mal: 'Cause I'm standing right here.

@rapier57

keezel
Jedi Bastard

Sun Jan 10, 2010 5:35 am

Satellite pic of Great Britain (1/7/10) after the front moved through and covered the entire country with snow.

http://newsimg.bbc.co.uk/media/images/4 ... ainjpg.jpg

*edit*

Figured I'd add a tidbit. I had to work from home yesterday due to iced roads and our inability to drive in winter weather here in Atlanta. I spent yesterday watching cars spin off the road as they frantically pull the E-brake and turn their wheels in seemingly random directions. It was entertaining. One person hit a telephone pole and another nearly hit a tree, but most were completely unscathed and drove off (slowly) after they came to a stop.

We are fairly incompetent when it comes to driving on icy roads.
Only amateurs attack machines; professionals target people. Bruce Schneier

Egaladeist
I am the Eg man : Coo Coo Ca Choo

Sun Jan 10, 2010 5:05 pm

We are fairly incompetent when it comes to driving on icy roads.
Reminds me of when I was thumbing through the Southern States way back when ...trying to cross the Mississippi, all the bridges were closed due to ice...cars all over the place, in ditches, etc...

one guy even had his driver side window shatter...

no one had a clue how to drive on black ice...and as far as I know , at the time, most likely didn't have heaters ( looked like most people were freezing in their cars ), and none had appropriate tires for the occasion.

I don't know if it's true or not...but I was told back around that time that cars destined for the Southern States were built differently than cars destined for Northern States...true or not? ie. that windows, tires, appliances like heaters, etc..aren't the same or aren't/weren't installed.

rapier57
I've posted HOW many

Sun Jan 10, 2010 7:06 pm

Uh, how far back was "back then" Eg-man?

I don't think it was different equipment, it was how the car's systems were set up for the usual climate. Thermostats and other devices that controlled engine temperatures, and thus the car's heaters. Of course, since heaters were so seldom used in that part of the country, they were probably either clogged up or used incorrectly and just blew cold air in from the vent bypass.
Rapier57.

@rapier57

Egaladeist

Sun Jan 10, 2010 9:40 pm

Uh, how far back was "back then" Eg-man?
Oh, at the very least 30 years ago :D I think it was January 1980 when I was passing through the Southern States when they got hit with that cold spell...it snowed a bit then too. I was still a long haired hippie at the time hiking all over with my dufflebag tossed over my shoulder. :mrgreen:

My mis-spent youth could've been better spent ( in retrospect ) learning computers.

Aspman
Frustrated Mad Scientist

Mon Jan 11, 2010 10:55 am

Yay we made it above freezing today.

It's surprising how quickly you can get used to the cold. I was digging out the fresh snow on Saturday (another 3" but for whatever reason it lifted the ice off the drive and I could chip it off) and was quickly down to doing it in a Tee shirt. That was -2C with decent wind-chill.

Things are starting to melt a bit.

Up north most people are not bad at driving in the snow. We don't get it often enough to justify snow tyres so you just have to learn to slide. My car has 225x18" ultra low profile tyres. Might as well fit skids to the car but I'd not had any scares in the snow.

You can't do much against ice though, but if you do hit it, stay in the car...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HTg-v6qlBEI
"Man will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest."
- Denis Diderot (1713-1784)

Egaladeist

Mon Jan 11, 2010 4:32 pm

It's been a funny winter here...only about 6-7 ( -15 degrees or more ) cold days and almost no snow...and it's almost the middle of January.

There's snow on the ground but just a covering, haven't yet had a real good snowfall.

Aspman
Frustrated Mad Scientist

Mon Jan 11, 2010 5:21 pm

Apparently we've got your weather and vice versa. Something to do with a North Atlantic oscillation.

More like normal now. 0-5C, wet snow, slushy and some ice.
"Man will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest."

Morganlefay
I've posted HOW many

Tue Jan 12, 2010 4:16 pm

Well we have a typical winter here....I am north east of Eg.

2" of snow and cold....although we havent got as much snow as last year...I think the kids had about 10 snow days by this time last year.

Sunny and a balmy-8C today

MLF

Aspman
Frustrated Mad Scientist

Tue Jan 12, 2010 6:06 pm

Even more like normal now. Chilly, dark and damp but not actually freezing.

I might actually get the car washed this weekend first time in 6 weeks. Feckin thing is black and covered in salt.

I'll need to keep an eye on Ebay in a couple of month when everyone offloads all their expensive cold weather gear they needed for 2 weeks.

I still quite fancy a Canada Goose parka so I can stand about in the cold laughing at the freezing people.

dinowuff
I've posted HOW many
Location: galactic longitude 359° 56′ 39.4″, galactic latitude −0° 2′ 46.2″

Wed Jan 13, 2010 7:29 pm

The Arctic ocean is warming up, icebergs are growing scarcer and in some places the seals are finding the water too hot, according to a report to the Commerce Department yesterday from Consul Ifft, at Bergen, Norway.

Reports from fishermen, seal hunters and explorers, he declared, all point to a radical change in climate conditions and hitherto unheard-of temperatures in the Arctic zone. Exploration expeditions report that scarcely any ice has been met with as far north as 81 degrees 29 minutes.

Soundings to a depth of 3,100 meters showed the gulf stream still very warm. Great masses of ice have been replaced by moraines of earth and stones, the report continued, while at many points well-known glaciers have entirely disappeared.

Very few seals and no white fish are found in the eastern Arctic, while vast shoals of herring and smelts, which have never before ventured so far north, are being encountered in the old seal-fishing grounds.

Report continued to say that if the conditions continue, we will all be doomed in 20 years or less because the entire earth will be covered by water from the melting ice. The report gave no reason for the global warming.

>

> Oh, by the way . . . . . I'm sorry,

I neglected to mention that this report was from November 2, 1922 as reported by the AP and published in the Washington Post.

>

> http://wattsupwiththat.com/2008/03/16/y ... ergs-melt/
No lusers were harmed in the creation of this Taz Zone Post.
AND I WANT TO KNOW WHY NOT!
09:F9:11:02:9D:74:E3:5B:D8:41:56:C5:63:56:88:C0

rapier57
I've posted HOW many

Wed Jan 13, 2010 7:53 pm

Yeah, media and politicians have short memories, if any at all.
Rapier57.

@rapier57

Morganlefay
I've posted HOW many

Wed Jan 13, 2010 9:44 pm

To have memories they would require brains.....which is very very rare :mrgreen:

MLF

Aspman
Frustrated Mad Scientist

Thu Jan 14, 2010 10:04 am

There are ominous signs that the Earth’s weather patterns have begun to change dramatically and that these changes may portend a drastic decline in food production – with serious political implications for just about every nation on Earth....

The evidence in support of these predictions has now begun to accumulate so massively that meteorologists are hard-pressed to keep up with it. In England, farmers have seen their growing season decline by about two weeks since 1950, with a resultant overall loss in grain production estimated at up to 100,000 tons annually.....

To scientists, these seemingly disparate incidents represent the advance signs of fundamental changes in the world’s weather. The central fact is that after three quarters of a century of extraordinarily mild conditions, the earth’s climate seems to be cooling down. Meteorologists disagree about the cause and extent of the cooling trend, as well as over its specific impact on local weather conditions. But they are almost unanimous in the view that the trend will reduce agricultural productivity for the rest of the century. If the climatic change is as profound as some of the pessimists fear, the resulting famines could be catastrophic. “A major climatic change would force economic and social adjustments on a worldwide scale,” warns a recent report by the National Academy of Sciences, “because the global patterns of food production and population that have evolved are implicitly dependent on the climate of the present century.”
Newsweek, April 28, 1975

This week.

Al Gore - I was wrong about the Arctic thaw
http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/e ... 959509.ece