A gift

The place to kick back, relax, post general bullshit, and grill a few on the BBQ. Whatever doesn't fit into another forum would go here. We periodically go through and move posts to the correct forum, but we do charge a case of Beer every time we have to.
SirDice
I've posted HOW many
Are you a Spammer: No

A gift

Thu Sep 22, 2011 10:32 am

I wanted to do a little more experimenting. It's been years since I played around with microcontrollers. So, I gave myself a nice little gift, a Sparkfun Inventor's Kit.

http://www.sparkfun.com/products/10339

Order is being processed. I'll let you know when the kit arrives and I've blown up my first experiment :mrgreen:

Oliver's Law:
Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

SirDice
I've posted HOW many

Re: A gift

Thu Sep 22, 2011 5:14 pm

I think I know what my first project is going to be :mrgreen:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_cLLyfop3QI

As that's around 17,5 thousand LEDs I'll start with something a little simpler:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CfGrb50qSDI
Oliver's Law:

Egaladeist
I am the Eg man : Coo Coo Ca Choo

Thu Sep 22, 2011 8:04 pm

Looks cool :mrgreen:

Aspman
Frustrated Mad Scientist

Fri Sep 23, 2011 11:09 am

Your geek quotient has risen significantly.

To feed my inner geek I've been reading a book on quantum physics. I've suddenly developed a desire to relearn the complex maths I avoided at school just to get the tiniest grasp of some of it.
"Man will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest."
- Denis Diderot (1713-1784)

SirDice
I've posted HOW many

Sat Sep 24, 2011 9:37 am

Excellent service. I ordered the kit on Wednesday and it arrived on Friday. Definitely worth a mention: http://www.antratek.nl

The box arrived :)

Yes!

And there's more

For a look inside the box

For size comparison, there's a 1 euro coin at the bottom.

Complete set, including the 2x16 LCD I ordered.

It works :good:
Oliver's Law:

Harry
Site Admin

Mon Sep 26, 2011 7:13 pm

Dice thats awesome, please give regualr updates :) Ive been wanting to get into electronic for a very long time but never really got around to doing anything. Would be very interested in what you manage to come up with with that kit - if you think it is useful I would probably buy one myself.
Drugs have taught an entire generation of kids the metric system..

TAZ's better half: http://www.theadminzone.com/

SirDice
I've posted HOW many

Tue Sep 27, 2011 8:40 am

Played around with it now and I must say I should have bought it years ago. It's brilliant. The Arduino itself only costs about 25 euro. No additional equipment or parts are needed to program the thing. Just code away in C/C++, hook it up with USB and transfer the program to the board.

It has a number of digital input/output lines which are just a matter of using digitalWrite(pin,status) to set or reset. Six of those pins can also be used as PWM output (so you can dim a LED for instance). It's real easy to hook up a servo or motor, you'd need a simple transistor, a diode and a resistor. Even the servos have a simple library so they are easy to control.

The analog inputs can be used to measure temperature, read IR signals, potmeters etc.

One of the circuits that came with the kit involved a 74HC595, which is a 8 bit serial-in/parallel-out shift register. With that you can drive 8 LEDs (or something else obviously) using only 3 digital outputs. The nice thing about the 595 is that you can daisy-chain them to get 16, 24, 32 etc. outputs while still only using 3 outputs to drive it.

A plain Arduino is nice if you already have a project for it. For starters I'd pick one of the various starter-kits. That usually includes a breadboard (so you don't have to solder anything) and a handful of parts. I found mine by shopping around a little, I liked this one because it came with a small motor and servo. It also has a nice box to store everything in.
Oliver's Law:

Aspman
Frustrated Mad Scientist

Mon Nov 28, 2011 1:20 pm

You might find this interesting.....

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2011/11/28/raspberry_pi/
Analysis Despite all the excitement and expectation encompassing the RaspberryPi, the most remarkable thing about this low-power credit card-sized computer is its price tag: little more than £20 for a fully functional system capable of, among many things, 1080p video playback and hardware-accelerated graphics.
The Pi is powered by a 700MHz ARM-compatible processor with hardware support for OpenGL ES 2.0 and Blu-ray-grade playback (1080p30 H.264), and features 256MB of RAM, TV, HDMI and audio outputs, a USB port, a Flash memory card slot, 100MBit Ethernet and a number of I/O pins for a serial port and general purpose hacking. This is all fitted on a low-cost 85.60mm x 53.98mm board that's about 20mm high, weighs 40g and is powered from a 5V supply.
"Man will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest."
- Denis Diderot (1713-1784)