Is there such a thing as a good on-line job?

The place to kick back, relax, post general bullshit, and grill a few on the BBQ. Whatever doesn't fit into another forum would go here. We periodically go through and move posts to the correct forum, but we do charge a case of Beer every time we have to.
Egaladeist
I am the Eg man : Coo Coo Ca Choo

Is there such a thing as a good on-line job?

Mon Oct 26, 2009 5:55 pm

OK, there's a lot of scam jobs online...but are there any real jobs that someone can do?

Most of the jobs I've found online are questionable at best...scams at worst...none so far even worth taking a chance on.

And the very few that look good require a skill level beyond what I have.

Right now my present employment is taking a serious dive...to the point that I'm not even sure I'll be able to cover basic bills...so if you know any employment opportunities that are legit and worthwhile I'd like to hear them.

I've got a low skill set but I make up for that in being a work-a-holic...I've always been the guy who outperformed expectations...the go-to-guy when someone needed something done yesterday...

so...if you know of any legit jobs for a late middle-aged, not in the greatest health, person of mediocre computer skills, but who likes to work and generally works harder than three normal people...

please post. :mrgreen:

Vorlin
Taz's very own Fireman [RIP]
Are you a Spammer: No

Re: Is there such a thing as a good on-line job?

Sun Nov 01, 2009 10:33 am

I've wondered about that myself, and while I think that in the beginning of when they started becoming a real viable option, it quickly got overtaken by all the sluts and whores and bitches and tramps and losers and such and hence why we get emails by the dozens weekly talking about how some falsely portrayed "new mom" is "making $478 while she plays with her kids" or some shit. It's worse than spam in some aspects and the VERY few (like, single digit compared to the hundreds of those that are nothing but scams) that are out there are either buried and never get seen/found/located/satellite-tagged or they've got enough people for what they need and never have to worry about truly advertising.

I've never seen a single business that allows work-at-home part/full-time hours and I certainly haven't met someone who does that as a sole means of income. I'd love to find something that was at-home and along my line of work but alas, such will not be the case, hehe!
In the world of protection, one thing is for sure: security = 1 / convenience.

Egaladeist

Sun Nov 01, 2009 1:25 pm

There probably are a few ' legit ' ones...but like you said finding them, among the crap, is tantamount to looking for a needle in a haystack...

I've been working from my home for the last 10 years, I took a serious pay cut in order to be able to stay home and raise my kids rather than bust my ass to pay for a full-time babysitter and spend no time with them...but my job wasn't something I found online, I've been working in one capacity or another for charities for decades so it wasn't much of a problem convincing them that I could take most of my work home...
technically I created my own home-based job...where one never previously existed.

Problem is, because the job doesn't really exist, if the job starts going through rough times, you just can't go find another one...there aren't any other ones.

Aspman
Frustrated Mad Scientist

Sun Nov 01, 2009 4:13 pm

Did you not ask this before Eg?

I don't think there are any real online jobs as you describe them Eg.

Rather think about what you can do from home using the internet to do that work (job first, internet second).

TBH I can't think of much but you are getting better at the web stuff baybe you could start to make that pay by doing small sites for small local businesses.
"Man will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest."
- Denis Diderot (1713-1784)

Egaladeist

Sun Nov 01, 2009 5:12 pm

Did you not ask this before Eg?
Yeh, and didn't find anything then either :mrgreen: but the last time I was just getting fed up and wanted to find something better.
TBH I can't think of much but you are getting better at the web stuff baybe you could start to make that pay by doing small sites for small local businesses.
But I really haven't ever created a website...all I ever do is take something like Wordpress or a free template and slightly modify it to suit. I would...but I doubt anyone would pay me to do it...and I'd be bugging you guys constantly ' how do I do this? ' ' how do I do that? ' :D
I don't think there are any real online jobs as you describe them Eg.
I know there's sites where you bid for jobs...but most require skills I don't have.

Aspman
Frustrated Mad Scientist

Mon Nov 02, 2009 11:14 am

Egaladeist wrote:
But I really haven't ever created a website...all I ever do is take something like Wordpress or a free template and slightly modify it to suit. I would...but I doubt anyone would pay me to do it...and I'd be bugging you guys constantly ' how do I do this? ' ' how do I do that? ' :D
How do think we learned?

Any free web creation courses near you? The local gov runs cheap courses over here.
A little training is handy to start with but websites are a real on-the-job thing. Are your girls old enough to go along with you?

You're quite artistic Eg so you might find you've an eye for design. That was something I could never do. When I did work on websites I did the background machinery while the other guy did the pretty public face.

This is my mates business
http://www.coolimageinternet.com/

He started out on his own after where we worked went bust. He stuck with the web stuff and I've drifted into security.
He does pretty well out of it.
"Man will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest."

Egaladeist

Tue Nov 03, 2009 7:35 am

Are your girls old enough to go along with you?
They're 10 and 11, the beginning of the scary years :mrgreen:
You're quite artistic Eg so you might find you've an eye for design.

outerlimit
Holder of the rank Drunk Meister and BAR

Wed Nov 04, 2009 3:07 pm

You can get a job at www.kgbkgb.com

I worked there for a little while while I was at Virginia Tech.

You may have seen advertisements for them before, but they are a service that people text a question to, and give an answer.
You have to complete some training/quizzes before you can start getting paid.
But basically you login to their website and start taking questions and giving answers... Searching for answers on the internet if need be.

The pay isn't great, you are paid per question answered. If you can get really fast at it, I suppose you could make a good bit of money.
Starting out I wasn't doing so hot...

You might also be able to find stuff at places like www.getafreelancer.com

Good luck!
14:35 < Maverick> I'm a gaywad

outerlimit

Wed Nov 04, 2009 3:08 pm

Theres also another place where you basically work as a call-center operator from home.

I forget the name of it.... if I come across it I'll be sure to pass it your way.

You have to have an extra telephone line dedicated to this work... But it works in the same way as kgbkgb, you login and start accepting calls.

You work for a company that is contracted out to handle phone calls for another company.
Its not telemarketing - you are not calling people and annoying them, you are just answer phone calls. I think for things like infomercials and crap

outerlimit

Wed Nov 04, 2009 3:13 pm

Aspman wrote:You're quite artistic Eg so you might find you've an eye for design. That was something I could never do. When I did work on websites I did the background machinery while the other guy did the pretty public face.
I'm the same way.... I think there is a good need for designers.
I *hate* that part of website work.

Also, about the getafreelancer.com site.
I think there are jobs on there that would fit your skill set... I've seen several that I have not taken on in the past because they want someone to setup wordpress or drupal or something, and modify templates/install templates to make it unique and stuff.
All design stuff which I'm terrible at... This might be something up your ally?

There are also alot of people on those sites that want someone to promote their website and bring up its google page rank and other nonsense that I don't understand

Egaladeist

Wed Nov 04, 2009 4:24 pm

Thanks for the info outer...
I forget the name of it.... if I come across it I'll be sure to pass it your way.
the more the merrier :mrgreen: I'm not sure how this situation I'm in now is going to pan out so I have to cover my butt before the ceiling falls on me.

Aspman
Frustrated Mad Scientist

Thu Nov 05, 2009 10:10 am

outerlimit wrote: There are also alot of people on those sites that want someone to promote their website and bring up its google page rank and other nonsense that I don't understand
There are whole companies that offer google rank optimisation as a service. It's a black art so maybe a bit of nitch for you there Eg.

Egaladeist

Thu Nov 05, 2009 1:35 pm

There are whole companies that offer google rank optimisation as a service. It's a black art so maybe a bit of nitch for you there Eg.
Promotion I can do :mrgreen: it's just very time consuming and is a very slow process ( unless you have the finances to do some context-based advertising of your own ).

outerlimit

Thu Nov 05, 2009 3:33 pm

A guy here at work has a brother who does SEO as a side job, and he *supposedly* brings in around 40-45k/yr doing it.

Once you get started, you will have the extra money to do fast promotion.
You should be able to bill the person/company you are doing the promotion for the cost of any advertising and stuff...
I'd let them know up front, I can do this for $x but it will take awhile, or I can do it for $y and it'll get done much much quicker.