Smoothwall 3.0 (Polar)

The place for what's new and going on in the tech, innovation, and science world.
THE Doctor
Ex Und3rtak3r from OZ
Are you a Spammer: No

Smoothwall 3.0 (Polar)

Mon Oct 15, 2007 2:12 pm

Yeh now i have not been overy active on the real world of PC sescrewity lately..

But Here is a toy that ANYONE - even the EG-MAN can have a crack at (come on be brave man) - anyone that is with a spare PC with 2 Ethernet ports (for DSL users.. a single 10/100 and a modem for the cavemen out there).. oh 256Mb of ram and a <10Gb hdd.. my v2 is happy with 128mb.. and worked well with only 64mb - but 64Mb is for wheelchair access (56k-dialup)

Enter Express 3.0! [Fanfare!]

SmoothWall is proud to announce the long-awaited final release of the world’s favorite network firewall - SmoothWall Express 3.0. (Code-name Polar)

Developed by the SmoothWall Open Source Project team, with code contributions from the SmoothWall community at large, this latest version (based on Linux 2.6 Kernel) is a huge advance beyond Version 2.

Designed to be even easier to install, configure and use, Express 3.0 now gives users faster and more efficient routing capabilities, advanced level reporting/logging and effortless one-click updates. Other new features include an improved VPN subsystem, email antivirus scanning and support for logging instant messaging applications such as MSN, Yahoo, ICQ and AOL.

Months of beta testing have confirmed the battle-worthiness of Express 3.0 and its 40+ new features. Multiple editions are now available, including a version with support for 64bit processors and a Developer Edition for die-hard firewallers.
http://community.smoothwall.org/forum/v ... hp?t=23955

I am about to give V2 the flick and upgrade the current.... (BTW..if Dalek has already posted this.. sorry for my slakness.. I did have a quick search)

.. The trouble with life is there's no background music..

Remember Grasshopper: The original point and click interface was a Smith & Wesson.

Egaladeist
I am the Eg man : Coo Coo Ca Choo

Mon Oct 15, 2007 2:41 pm

Can't even count the times I've posted after Dalek...he's always one step ahead :D

Derbz
What DO you mean : real life

Mon Oct 15, 2007 7:08 pm

Thanks for the post. I remember looking into the original smoothwall a few years back, but it was pretty overwhelming.... so I just abandoned the idea.

Will look into this though once I get a new box

outerlimit
Holder of the rank Drunk Meister and BAR

Mon Oct 15, 2007 10:37 pm

Sounds sweet, does it have IPv6 support?
14:35 < Maverick> I'm a gaywad

THE Doctor
Ex Und3rtak3r from OZ

Mon Oct 15, 2007 10:45 pm

Derbz wrote:Thanks for the post. I remember looking into the original smoothwall a few years back, but it was pretty overwhelming.... so I just abandoned the idea.

Will look into this though once I get a new box
Smoothwall has a very good forum.. Especially good for advanced fiddling - ie the Mods and add-ons

Another to have a look at is IP-Cop ..

one point to note ... you don't need a super computer for this job.. and I certainly don't recommend wasting a box that is less than 4 years old on the task.. a wrecked PII-400 that would be 9 years old has been in 24/7 service for the past 4 years, prior it was a Pentium 120..

You don't need an expensive video or sound card.. you will only want the Monitor and keyboard during initial setup

You do need stable hardware.. there is a lot of crap hardware out there.. If its a retiree its good.. if its a grumble box forget it..

If you want to play with Smoothy, or IP-Cop... put your "puppy dog eyes" on and let it be known your a poor IT person trying to learn the hard world of computers.. you will be swimming in older hardware in a couple of months... but that would be the subject for a tutorial of some sort..

Remember Grasshopper: The original point and click interface was a Smith & Wesson.

THE Doctor
Ex Und3rtak3r from OZ

Tue Oct 16, 2007 12:51 am

outerlimit wrote:Sounds sweet, does it have IPv6 support?
Not sure.. can't find reference to IPv6 in the info on V3... there was a MOD for V2 that allowed support..
I'll see what I find after I read the Manual ***ghag- I actually read the manuals now..feck what is wrong with me***

outerlimit

Tue Oct 16, 2007 2:25 am

Well, if it has the 2.6.x linux kernel it may not have it by default, but at least i can recompile the kernel and have it... i hope...

The problem with previous versions was the 2.4 kernel wasn't up to date on the new standards and stuff...

Dont_say_go
1st Century Addict

Tue Oct 16, 2007 3:37 am

I remember seeing a video about this like a year ago or so, it's really interesting to me, at the time I was trying to find a way to configure a router to run two connections as if they were one, like a dsl connection and a cable connection, I gave up on all that. But now I am wondering if theres a way to make this run with wireless. Very interesting.

THE Doctor
Ex Und3rtak3r from OZ

Tue Oct 16, 2007 4:06 am

Dont_say_go wrote:I remember seeing a video about this like a year ago or so, it's really interesting to me, at the time I was trying to find a way to configure a router to run two connections as if they were one, like a dsl connection and a cable connection, I gave up on all that. But now I am wondering if theres a way to make this run with wireless. Very interesting.
Check the forums.. there are a couple of discussions regarding 2 IPS on the red interface..ie using 2 isp's haven't been in a position to give it a play

outerlimit

Tue Oct 16, 2007 9:47 pm

Dont_say_go:

It is possible... I don't know if smoothwall has the capabilities built in but you can do load balancing between the two.
I don't think its possible, but it may be, for you to download 1 file and make use of both connections for that (ie DSL speed + Cable speed), but most certainly can download shit on DSL and browse on Cable, and vice versa.

THE Doctor
Ex Und3rtak3r from OZ

Thu Oct 18, 2007 2:08 am

hmmm.. eye candy.. ..

Supports QoS for VOIP, P2P
as well as SIP proxy
filters for IM.. damned needed that like 2 years ago..
Built in Clam Av, POP3 Proxy.. etc etc..
just have to figure out why the Green interface is non responsive.. it appears not to be the nic - changed the assignments initially from the interface.. then via a clean install ..

personally I would recommend this in a home with just one PC.. typically I would only recommend for 3 or more.

outerlimit

Thu Oct 18, 2007 5:59 am

You don't recommend it for a small home network with a few PCs, and maybe 1-2 public internet servers (located on DMZ)?

THE Doctor
Ex Und3rtak3r from OZ

Thu Oct 18, 2007 11:07 am

outerlimit wrote:You don't recommend it for a small home network with a few PCs, and maybe 1-2 public internet servers (located on DMZ)?

personally I would recommend this in a home with just one PC.. typically I would only recommend for 3 or more.
version 2 I prefered to setup with 3 or more..
but the extra features ov V3.. I would now set it up on a single seat home network..

I am yet to throw Polar into my network here.. but once up.. I will be throwing a couple of boxes at the orange port

THE Doctor
Ex Und3rtak3r from OZ

Sat Oct 20, 2007 2:35 pm

Hmmmm..

I think I need to retract my earlier comments regarding Smoothwall 3 (Polar).
Yes it looks bloody good.. but V3 unlike V2 is not the simple thing to setup..

issues encountered:

Inittially couldn't couldn't connect to the HTTP setup page (Https connection) on the green port ..
my initial thought was a Faulty NIC.. Wrong!
Managed to connect via the Purple port.. good? then reassigned the Nic's.. problem remained on the green port..
Was not resolved untill AFTER I changed the firewall settings.. to "Open With Exception" for the green Port.. - Damned I thought I did that during the install.

OK that little bug out of the way.. lets play
ooops.. DNS settings.. hmm dosen't like my ISP's DNS server... ok I like to keep Open DNS as a backup..
A nice feature.. you can set Static DNS servers.. in pops the OPEN DNS Ip's

Funny issue.. monitoring the traffic with wireshark.. I noticed regular Pings from the SW box to my service PC..

Now.. time to update the toy.. there is a lonesome patch available

very straight forward.. into the Maintainence screen and update.. and it can auto magicly download and install any detected updates.. select and update.. done..

ok a restart later..

Now we play with.. IM proxy.. yeh
hmm cant connect to my MSN account.. . OK turn off the proxy.. still not connecting.. machines on my V2 network are happy.. so it isn't M$..
OK..restart the SW box.. check the port setting.. hmm
allow ALL ports.. nope no luck..
Need to read more.....

OK we play with the .. POP3 Proxy..
simple.. enable.. fire up a machine and open an email client...
nothing unusual .. sent and received.. .. need to get a friend to send me a virus.. but not today..
oh the Logs.. hey.. there is all my email listed in the log.. hmm could be cool..

While here.. a quick look in the Web proxy log.. nice.. all visited pages.. add sites and all.. (memo to self.. host file is out of date on the service PC).. handy..

A look at the firewall log.. oh hell.. I haven't set up the port forwards for a couple of apps..BT

Yet to test the VOIP Proxy.. that looks interesting

But now my important test.. is there any problems with any of my Web apps or regular sites..

Well I now found why MSN isnt working.. .NET connectivity is being blocked.. googled.. no information.. seems to be a port block.. can't seem to find which..
And Bugger me.. but external HTTPS sites are blocked..
Checked the Firewall rules.. and allowed to pass.. enabled a custom rule.. no joy..
hell I even restarted and crossed my fingers..

With That... Smoothwall gets assigned to.. When i get a bit more time.. could be in a month or a year....

looks good.. some very nice features.. but fucking round to get Https to forward, and .NET to connect..

Version 2 i had configured and running at home as well as fiddled around with settings and comparisons in about 4 hours.. and after 48hrs had configured and commissioned my first client SWv2 box..
Version 3 i am up to 12 hrs now.. and Give up.. IT IS NOT YET READY..

(i will load V3 onto an other PC.. that was assigned to be my test webserver... but only to prove that it isn't a funny hardware thing..but I will probably be working the next 7 - 10 days)
I will probably be doing a bit of googling before I comment more on this..

THE Doctor
Ex Und3rtak3r from OZ

Mon Oct 22, 2007 2:05 pm

Anyone played with it yet? (smoothwall that is)