VMware Workstation 9 and Fusion 5.0 released

The place for what's new and going on in the tech, innovation, and science world.
simmetrichnyi
I COULD be out shopping
Are you a Spammer: No

VMware Workstation 9 and Fusion 5.0 released

Thu Aug 23, 2012 4:01 pm

Just for who uses these great tools ...

VMware Workstation & VMware Fusion

Formerly known as...

DaFoxx
DaBOSS

Re: VMware Workstation 9 and Fusion 5.0 released

Thu Aug 23, 2012 4:11 pm

are these PAY for tools?
I use them at work, need to grab some virtual boxes too, but the ££ are not so easy to raise for my 'toys' :P
isn't there a free Oracle item out there?
Beware of Geeks bearing GIF's :mrgreen:

DaFoxx
DaBOSS

Thu Aug 23, 2012 4:13 pm

holy crap batfink
I went and Googled and for once, even Eg couldn't have beaten me

Oracle Virtualbox
VirtualBox Sources

The VirtualBox sources are available free of charge under the terms and conditions of the GNU General Public License, Version 2. By downloading from the below links, you agree to these terms and conditions.
Beware of Geeks bearing GIF's :mrgreen:

simmetrichnyi
I COULD be out shopping

Thu Aug 23, 2012 4:30 pm

Yep Virtualbox is free ... That said it isn't even a bad free virtualization tool, though I prefer VMware Workstation/Fusion but that's because I get them through my company ;)

When you get the chance to migrate to Windows 8 Enterprise (Maybe Professional too) you get Hyper-V included (so you can install virtual machines directly in your Windows installation) kinda like Windows XP mode in Windows 7
Client Hyper-V is the same computer virtualization technology that was previously available in Windows Server. In Windows 8 Pro, the technology is now built into the non-server version of Windows, often called the “desktop” version because it does not run on server-class hardware. Client Hyper-V provides the same virtualization capabilities as Hyper-V in Windows Server 2012. A similar functionality in Windows 7 is called Windows XP Mode. To download this feature, see Download Windows XP Mode with Virtual PC.
With Windows Virtual PC, a free add-on for Windows 7, users could install other OSes in a virtual environment and run that environment, in a window, under Windows 7. They could install applications in those virtual environments, too, providing a way to access solutions that required a different version of Windows, or a different version of IE, or whatever, something that for whatever reason wouldn’t run optimally or at all under Windows 7 natively.

Better still, Windows Virtual PC offered a feature called XP Mode, free for users of Windows 7 Professional, Enterprise, and Ultimate, which included a full working copy of Windows XP with Service Pack 3. But the big deal here is that as you installed applications in the virtual copy of XP, they would be made available through Windows 7’s Start Menu. And you could run these applications, side-by-side, with Windows 7 applications on the Windows 7 desktop. It was a seamless, integrated experience, ideal for those one-off application compatibility issues.
Source

And more Source
Formerly known as...

outerlimit
Holder of the rank Drunk Meister and BAR

Sat Sep 01, 2012 12:59 am

I use VirtualBox to run Ubunutu 12.04 on my home PC for building Android.
I like it... However it still doesn't beat a physical machine which I'll take care of when I return to MD.
14:35 < Maverick> I'm a gaywad