What the heck is Google Wave

The place for what's new and going on in the tech, innovation, and science world.
Egaladeist
I am the Eg man : Coo Coo Ca Choo

What the heck is Google Wave

Sat Dec 19, 2009 12:55 pm

Is this Google Wave thing an attempt by Google to get into the Twitter/Facebook/StumbleUpon market?

And how is this going to affect things like Google Groups? Which I have used on at least 3 occasions to ask questions about Google.

What's the scoop? :mrgreen:

THE Doctor
Ex Und3rtak3r from OZ
Are you a Spammer: No

Re: What the heck is Google Wave

Sun Dec 20, 2009 1:56 pm

Egaladeist wrote:Is this Google Wave thing an attempt by Google to get into the Twitter/Facebook/StumbleUpon market?

And how is this going to affect things like Google Groups? Which I have used on at least 3 occasions to ask questions about Google.

What's the scoop? :mrgreen:
Boring...has potential.. juste need a good group of people to make it interesting..in parts...

Do you want an invite? I am sure several of us will be able to accomodate ?
.. The trouble with life is there's no background music..

Remember Grasshopper: The original point and click interface was a Smith & Wesson.

cgkanchi
Supertazzerfraggerlistic

Sun Dec 20, 2009 4:56 pm

PM me your email address Eg, will send you an invite...
Buy the Snakes of India book, support research and education (sorry website has been discontinued)
My blog (shameless plug, I know): http://biology000.blogspot.com

Egaladeist

Sun Dec 20, 2009 9:06 pm

PM sent :mrgreen:

cgkanchi
Supertazzerfraggerlistic

Mon Dec 21, 2009 2:52 am

Invite sent...
Buy the Snakes of India book, support research and education (sorry website has been discontinued)
My blog (shameless plug, I know): http://biology000.blogspot.com

Egaladeist

Mon Dec 21, 2009 8:22 am

I'm in...still don't quite get it...

you know like when you join Twitter or Blip etc...you see the stream of tweets or blips of others and you just had to decide which ones you wanted to follow in your own stream and which ones you didn't...

twitter, later eliminated this so I don't know what a new member sees...but at one time there was a section you could go to that was ' all tweets '.

So how do you add ' waves 'of other people so you can determine who to follow and who to pass up?

THE Doctor
Ex Und3rtak3r from OZ

Mon Dec 21, 2009 2:42 pm

Egaladeist wrote:I'm in...still don't quite get it...

you know like when you join Twitter or Blip etc...you see the stream of tweets or blips of others and you just had to decide which ones you wanted to follow in your own stream and which ones you didn't...

twitter, later eliminated this so I don't know what a new member sees...but at one time there was a section you could go to that was ' all tweets '.

So how do you add ' waves 'of other people so you can determine who to follow and who to pass up?
do a search for public waves.. enter "with:public" or "group:public@a.gwave.com" one or the other will throw a few waves at you to have play..
Start here for more search information..: http://www.google.com/support/wave/bin/ ... wer=162900
.. The trouble with life is there's no background music..

Remember Grasshopper: The original point and click interface was a Smith & Wesson.

keezel
Jedi Bastard

Tue Dec 22, 2009 7:57 pm

I played around with it a little today. It's interesting, but exceedingly slow. I'm sitting on a ridiculous amount of bandwidth at work and it's still slow to load.

My impression thus far is that it's a glorified forum for the masses. Still investigating...
Only amateurs attack machines; professionals target people. Bruce Schneier

Egaladeist

Wed Dec 23, 2009 12:52 am

I played around with it a little today. It's interesting, but exceedingly slow. I'm sitting on a ridiculous amount of bandwidth at work and it's still slow to load.

My impression thus far is that it's a glorified forum for the masses. Still investigating...
So far it seems like some type of combination of google groups and twitter/facebook thingy...which I expected...

still don't quite understand it...seems a little too complicated to be successful.

Not everything google touches turns to gold...they've had some flops...and I'm thinkin' this might be one of them.

There's already several sites like it out there that are only having moderate success...for instance my brother was big on Sqip...it came out with a bang right out of the box but is slowly dying...it's still listed as a top 40,000 site by Alexa...but I suspect it'll fold within a couple years.

Personally I don't like sites that make you put a lot of effort into making contacts...which is why I don't care for Facebook or MySpace...seems like way to much effort is needed.

giantmonster
Wannabee

Fri Jan 08, 2010 7:00 am

Its like twitter but not like facebook.. Its in a way good but then its just a bit complicated tool to share with friend and family...