Spam Bustin'

The place for what's new and going on in the tech, innovation, and science world.
cgkanchi
Supertazzerfraggerlistic

Spam Bustin'

Tue Oct 20, 2009 1:34 pm

We really need to get the spam busting extensions installed again, the amount of spam seems to have gone through the roof...

Buy the Snakes of India book, support research and education (sorry website has been discontinued)
My blog (shameless plug, I know): http://biology000.blogspot.com

Egaladeist
I am the Eg man : Coo Coo Ca Choo

Re: Spam Bustin'

Tue Oct 20, 2009 2:05 pm

Yep...I've made some suggestions in the private forums but without outer or Shipp around there's not much I can do.

Either they need to install them or they need to tell me how to install them. ;)

Egaladeist

Tue Oct 20, 2009 2:07 pm

I also think it's the same guy using different accounts...once we ban one he just creates a new one...

spam protection is almost exclusively to prevent bots from posting...they don't do much against people.

for reference purposes: the last spammer was mnop482 whose IP was 124.193.170.146...

keezel
Jedi Bastard

Tue Oct 20, 2009 6:49 pm

I'm curious, how do you stop spammers? I've heard of banning IP's and IP ranges but that seems like an extreme measure.
Only amateurs attack machines; professionals target people. Bruce Schneier

Aspman
Frustrated Mad Scientist

Tue Oct 20, 2009 11:08 pm

Anyone other than Shipp that can help you Eg.

I've not see Shipp around for ages. I guess he's has to give up since he's stuck with dial up.
"Man will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest."
- Denis Diderot (1713-1784)

Egaladeist

Wed Oct 21, 2009 3:14 am

I'm curious, how do you stop spammers?
Now, we don't want to give away our secrets on the open forums do we? :mrgreen:
Anyone other than Shipp that can help you Eg.
outer if he has the time...I can do it myself if I have someone walk me through how to do it...

I did install the last one, the security question...but that was on phpbb2 not phpbb3 which is very different. I also installed this template and the FAQ mod to edit the FAQ's...and I installed the extra pages ( on the project site ...although I'm still waiting for a resolution for it ) ...so I know I can do it...just want to make sure I don't bugger things up.

Vorlin
Taz's very own Fireman [RIP]
Are you a Spammer: No

Thu Oct 22, 2009 1:18 am

I'd be glad to help out since I do a ton with php currently and also database administration (postgresql/oracle though, not much with mysql) but that's not up to me.

As far as that last spammer, I'd do this, and this is with the assumption that the IP address is a separate variable like the username is.

Code: Select all

$ip = <whatever the variable from $_POST or such is>;
$bitch_ip = <bastard's ip that's spamming>;

if (preg_match('/^124\.193\.170/', $ip)) {
  if ($ip == $bitch_ip)) {
    # Mailbomb the fuck outta the little shit, send packet storms pre/re-routed through 18
    # different countries, et al. I'll even donate my server time for this.
  } else {
    # Send a kind notice that some little fucktard reject piece of shit has ruined your chance
    # to log in or create an account and that you should notify your ISP with this approved
    # reasoning for abortion's ip address (put in $bitch_ip here) for them to take care of this.
    #
    # Thank you, and have a nice day. -- Management
  }
}
But that's just me....yeah it needs cleanup, but it was just done in about a minute...
In the world of protection, one thing is for sure: security = 1 / convenience.