Dog DNA study reveals new role for protein

When you have general news to share - put it HERE. Anything you find newsworthy that you think others might be interested in post away! (If it's tech related please put in the tech news zone)
Egaladeist
I am the Eg man : Coo Coo Ca Choo

Sat Oct 20, 2007 3:39 pm

It turns out the gene that controls coat color in dogs also controls a family of proteins called defensins that are thought to defend the body from invading microbes.

"It connects a whole family of genes, the defensin family, to what was previously thought to be a different pathway, the melanocortin pathway," Barsh said in a telephone interview.

Barsh's laboratory has spent the past 15 years studying the melanocortin pathway -- the hormones and proteins that control the amounts of melanin and cortisol produced in the body.

This pathway plays an important role in weight control and skin pigmentation, which is what drew Barsh to study of coat color in dogs.

But the link between two distinct pathways raises many questions about the role of defensin proteins.

http://www.reuters.com/article/scienceN ... 4420071018
Dog DNA study reveals new role for protein | Science | Reuters

cgkanchi
Supertazzerfraggerlistic

Sat Oct 20, 2007 10:00 pm

Haha, this is too weird. I just went to a lecture that talked about defensins in humans and dogs :D This research was mentioned as well.

Che
Buy the Snakes of India book, support research and education (sorry website has been discontinued)
My blog (shameless plug, I know): http://biology000.blogspot.com

J_K9
THE Prancing Pirate

Sun Oct 21, 2007 8:28 pm

The guy took 15 years to discover that? Christ, what a waste of a life!

J/k - sounds very interesting. Thanks Eg. ;)
"Don't gain the world and lose your soul, wisdom is better than silver or gold." - Bob Marley

[CS:Source Admin]