Steve Irwin is Dead

When you have general news to share - put it HERE. Anything you find newsworthy that you think others might be interested in post away! (If it's tech related please put in the tech news zone)
Aspman
Frustrated Mad Scientist

Thu Sep 07, 2006 2:20 pm

Boats + several camera-divers + Steve talking loadly to camera or into a mask = Not a surprise that the big fish would be spooked and thrash about to scare off the threat. Just unlucky I would think.

"Man will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest."
- Denis Diderot (1713-1784)

Egaladeist
I am the Eg man : Coo Coo Ca Choo
Are you a Spammer: No

Thu Sep 07, 2006 3:37 pm

LOL! :D
hell bareing in mind he was filming for a program about deadliest animals i would imagine he was trying to show the camera the tail!!!
Could be :D

' Criky...would ya look at this...pointy little bugger aint it...betcha it packs a wallop when he gets pissed off...betcha if i touch it it'll sting, just like why they call it a ' sting ' ray...don't wanna get too close though...I'll just pet the little bugger's tail so he knows I ain't gonna harm it...'

I can just see it :D
www.thetazzone.com www.thegameszone.org

J_K9
THE Prancing Pirate

Thu Sep 07, 2006 7:30 pm

I don't think it's really appropriate to make jokes of the man... He's dead.

Alas, this is the internet, so we're entitled to say whatever we like (theoretically)...
"Don't gain the world and lose your soul, wisdom is better than silver or gold." - Bob Marley

[CS:Source Admin]

Elsparrow
In with the out crowd

Thu Sep 07, 2006 7:36 pm

JK, Steve was like that.

One of his better traits and probably what captivated so many people.

Hell those sort of things make me smile and laugh and remind of how much I enjoy his damn shows. I mean strewth his shows are a right beauty!

Elsparrow
In with the out crowd

Thu Sep 07, 2006 7:46 pm

Nah mate I think its right cos its people remembering him for who he was.

Its what I would want :)

J_K9
THE Prancing Pirate

Thu Sep 07, 2006 7:47 pm

Elsparrow wrote:JK, Steve was like that.
I know he was... That's why I said that. But I don't think it's right to use his jokes any more, especially when describing the moments before his death... Yes, I smiled when I read it, because it sounds just like him, but I still don't think it's right :)

I'm going to miss his shows, that's for sure.
"Don't gain the world and lose your soul, wisdom is better than silver or gold." - Bob Marley

Shippwreck
I've posted HOW many

Thu Sep 07, 2006 8:37 pm

Well, i have to say that i'm with Eg and Els here, yep while its really sad that the guy is dead and all you have to look at both the joke and who wrote it and take it in context.

Now the way i took that joke was not to poke fun at Steve, but more to laugh along with the kind of things he's done. Plus factor in the person saying it and i would be extremley surpirised if it was meant in an offensive way :shock:
Google is god... of the internet :mrgreen:

Elsparrow
In with the out crowd

Thu Sep 07, 2006 8:38 pm

Cor crikey this little 'rays a right beauty, and she is REALLY pissed off cos I am fondling her tail and cor look at that swipe, straight into me chest, and I don't have the anti-venom.

Shippwreck
I've posted HOW many

Thu Sep 07, 2006 8:43 pm

Ok although i know that neither Els or Eg are taking the piss out of the guy i think we should refrain from any more jokes in case they DO offend others who may be a little more sensitive to his death then us...
Google is god... of the internet :mrgreen:

Elsparrow
In with the out crowd

Thu Sep 07, 2006 8:53 pm

Meh I am pissed off that the guy's family refused a state funeral.

His dad said he was an ordinary guy.

How many ordinary guys have THAT effect he had on conservation.

Think Australia Zoo should be renamed The Steve Irwin Zoo.

After all, he did all that work to turn it from a reptile shelter into the main Aussie Zoo.

Egaladeist
I am the Eg man : Coo Coo Ca Choo

Thu Sep 07, 2006 9:11 pm

Well...first off Shipp is right...secondly, i doubt he would be offended...thirdly, my views on death are well known...

;)
www.thetazzone.com www.thegameszone.org

J_K9
THE Prancing Pirate

Thu Sep 07, 2006 9:13 pm

Shippwreck wrote:Now the way i took that joke was not to poke fun at Steve, but more to laugh along with the kind of things he's done. Plus factor in the person saying it and i would be extremley surpirised if it was meant in an offensive way :shock:
Hey, no, that's not what I meant. I know it was said in a nice way, and only to portray the way he used to think and to give us a little giggle - I did smile when I read it. But it just makes me sad to think that I won't be seeing his entertaining croc-battling or hearing his Aussie sayings ever again... :(

Elsparrow
In with the out crowd

Thu Sep 07, 2006 9:38 pm

Amen brother, Amen

Panama Red
I come Unseen

Thu Sep 07, 2006 10:55 pm

Well I read today's local rag here in Halifax (most up to date news of anywhere lol) and apparently the family has given the green light to air the video...I am sure the last bit may be edited out or something or other, so as they can air it in "prime time" before the kids go to bed...

I think the joking part is exactly how Steve would be, seems to me he had a sense of hahaha, but most Aussies do, cause they are wannabe Newfie's... :lol:

llama love
UtterTazNutter

Thu Sep 07, 2006 11:00 pm

I think most people would rather others make jokes when they are gone and smile about it then mourn and be sad.