Steve Irwin is Dead

When you have general news to share - put it HERE. Anything you find newsworthy that you think others might be interested in post away! (If it's tech related please put in the tech news zone)
Egaladeist
I am the Eg man : Coo Coo Ca Choo
Are you a Spammer: No

Tue Sep 05, 2006 10:51 pm

Hi Undies...I think at this point we're both beating a dead horse :D

By this...

but his very death and the way he died proves my point better than I ever could

I meant...

Shit happens :)

My point with Suzuki was not climbing trees...I was using an enviromental example not a literal example...i have never seen Suzuki ever climb a tree...that wasn't my point ;)
ANY PARENT WHO TAKE THEIR CHILDEREN TO WORK WITH THEM IS PLACING THE CHILDEREN AT A GREATER RISK.. Steves work was His Croc's, even if he was a office worker.. showing them the ropes ot his job would place them at an equal risk..as accidents do happen
There is the reasonable risk factor...taking your son to to work is not the same as taking your son to walk through a dark alley at 2am in a known bar district...
accidents can happen anywhere at any time...but...
the reasonable risk factor tells your common sense that it's OK for a parent to let their kids play outside with their friends...shit can still happen....but it's within the reasonable risk factor...
however, common sense should tell a parent that it's NOT OK for a parent to let their kids play outside with their friends...if...for instance the cops are chasing someone who just had a shoot-out with them in the neighborhood ( which happened recently ) then... it's NOT within the reasonable risk factor...

in both cases accidents can happen...

but you can't seriously equate Croc's job to joe-blow working at Mickey D's...

the reasonable risk factor is very different... ;)

www.thetazzone.com www.thegameszone.org

THE Doctor
Ex Und3rtak3r from OZ

Wed Sep 06, 2006 11:20 am

but you can't seriously equate Croc's job to joe-blow working at Mickey D's...
YEs you can..

The example here is that I too would feel like you if he had Bob and Bindii out in the wild catching and the wild crocs... You obviously didnt read my post .. or you too have been brainwashed..

What if it had been playing around a Kangaroo or a Koala? would the reaction been different..
.. The trouble with life is there's no background music..

Remember Grasshopper: The original point and click interface was a Smith & Wesson.

Aspman
Frustrated Mad Scientist

Wed Sep 06, 2006 11:37 am

Pfft, risk or not he knew the media machine well enough and should have realised how a stunt like that could be interpreted.

I saw him demonstrate how mechanical crocs are in one program. He could tell exactly what a croc would do in reaction to what appear where in its vision or what stimuli were applied to the croc in different places.

I don't doubt he knew exactly what he was doing but it was still a stupid stunt.

One of his guys was reported as saying the in the press that Steve alway thought that if he were to be killed by an animal it would be in the sea. He was comfortable with his knowledge of land animals and his ability to react and move away from them but he knew he couldn't do that in the sea.
"Man will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest."
- Denis Diderot (1713-1784)

Elsparrow
In with the out crowd

Wed Sep 06, 2006 11:41 am

underwaterhero
I COULD be out shopping

Wed Sep 06, 2006 5:19 pm

I believe there is a bit of a debate if they should show his death on TV. Its a little morbid if you ask me.

J_K9
THE Prancing Pirate

Wed Sep 06, 2006 7:03 pm

I really don't want to see it... But I know I will, if it is shown. The poor guy - he was so unfortunate. The fucking stingray had to get him through the heart :(

I never thought that the death of a guy I didn't know would affect me so much... :sad:
"Don't gain the world and lose your soul, wisdom is better than silver or gold." - Bob Marley

[CS:Source Admin]

Vorlin
Taz's very own Fireman [RIP]

Wed Sep 06, 2006 7:58 pm

I think the reason he had much less of a chance with a stingray is that there's really no way you're going to just "jump over a fence" against something in their native environment. The crocodile was avoided by him jumping over a fence, knowing it can't go over it or through it with any real success. Now a stingray, in the water, and he's diving? Tragic, yes, but understandable.

I'll miss the guy, though...he definitely put a new light into the animal world. :sad:
In the world of protection, one thing is for sure: security = 1 / convenience.

Elsparrow
In with the out crowd

Wed Sep 06, 2006 9:40 pm

http://news.yahoo.com/s/eo/20060906/en_celeb_eo/19941

He may be "an ordinary guy" but he was the best fucking ordinary Aussie guy EVER

Shippwreck
I've posted HOW many

Thu Sep 07, 2006 12:25 pm

I don't think they will ever put the tape of his death on TV.

I read an interview with his manager on BBC News where the guy siad that he had seen the tape and that after it was returned by the police it would be destroyed. He wants to make sure the tape never sees the light of day...

Now although i doubt it'll ever get shown on TV, i wouldn't be surprised if a copy didn't pop up on the net somewhere... :roll:
Google is god... of the internet :mrgreen:

Aspman
Frustrated Mad Scientist

Thu Sep 07, 2006 12:41 pm

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/asia-pacific/5322444.stm

Irwin is going to have a private funeral, his family have declined the offer of a state funeral.
"He's an ordinary guy, and he wants to be remembered as an ordinary bloke," Bob Irwin said.
"Man will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest."
- Denis Diderot (1713-1784)

Egaladeist

Thu Sep 07, 2006 12:58 pm

According to the early Canadian News Reports...a reporter spoke to an Aussie Official who said the reason why the tapes will never make it to air is for the sake of his family...apparently he was trying to play with the Sting-ray like he does with land animals and the Sting-ray took offense to it...
the story was quickly changed to just an ' accident '.

I happen to believe the original news report...I can see Irwin goofing around with it in his usual way thinking he's invincible...it's more probably the case than some freak accident where he was attacked for no reason...it's much more likely he was provoking the Sting-ray and the Sting-ray attacked him.

The reason why very few of these ' accidents ' ever end in death is because they ' are ' accidents...very few people are going to intentionally provoke a Sting-ray...which by early reports is what Irwin was doing.

At any rate we'll never know unless the tape does get some air play.

Panama Red
I come Unseen

Thu Sep 07, 2006 1:22 pm

Pure "speculation" unless of course we were there.By we, I mean everyone who has an opinion of how he died.

He was out of his element and didn't act accordingly, the word "accident" gets used a lot for what is in all intents and purposes a preventable occurrance.

People love to use the word accident to excuse their own actions, or to avoid responsibility.

If what he did, does come out that he was pissing off the ray, then yeah he tempted fate...and nature played hardball... :wink: I have a feeling the reason the tape will not be shown is 2 things...1) not suitable to watch a person die on tape..2) His image or status, if it turns out he was mucking about, then that wouldn't go down well with the public... :(

Egaladeist

Thu Sep 07, 2006 1:28 pm

Well..we can assume with a very high probablity, along with the early news reports from that Official, that he must have been mucking about ;)

Sting-rays don't attack people for no reason ;) and the fact this one poked a hole in him presupposes he must have really peed this one off ;) that tail is a weapon fully under a Sting-rays control...it doesn't accidently poke a hole in people ;) that Sting-ray wanted to put a major hurt on him...maybe the death was unintentional...but the ray definitely wanted him to go away ;)

Panama Red
I come Unseen

Thu Sep 07, 2006 1:41 pm

Egaladeist wrote:Well..we can assume with a very high probablity, along with the early news reports from that Official, that he must have been mucking about ;)
Assume = ( makes an ASS of U and ME ).... :mad: Assumptions can be embarrasing.

And Eg, I understand what you are referring to when you say he provoked the ray...it would be no different if I had swatted a fully grown tiger with a stick, so yeah it rips my head off, so WTF was I doing swatting it with a stick routine.

My point was that everyone is writing it off as an "accident", no such thing in any environment, most of these so called accidents are preventable, i.e. he could have boned up on what happens when you piss off a stingray and the consequences..so would have acted appropriately right?

kinda goes back to the earlier assumption of Steve being stupid/irresponsible eh! which if this turns out to be true, would support that assumption...

:?

Shippwreck
I've posted HOW many

Thu Sep 07, 2006 2:04 pm

Well the report that i heard was that Steve was swimming along BEHIND the ray, the camera man was INFRONT of the ray and that it was believed the ray fealt cornered and struck out at Steve (naturally if he's the one nearest the tail) There was no metion that Steve was even touching the Ray!

With all these things we will NEVER know exactly what happened unless we see the tape... and i gotta say, i'm not sure i want to see the guy die :shock:

The way i see it is, maybe he was "playing" with the ray, maybe he wasn't but either way the ray struck out and he died, end of really. We can be farely certain that Steve's intentions were not malicious in any way and that if he had of been touching the ray in anyway it would have been to show something to the camera for the viewers... hell bareing in mind he was filming for a program about deadliest animals i would imagine he was trying to show the camera the tail!!!
Google is god... of the internet :mrgreen: