Space rock found on collision course with Earth

When you have general news to share - put it HERE. Anything you find newsworthy that you think others might be interested in post away! (If it's tech related please put in the tech news zone)
Egaladeist
I am the Eg man : Coo Coo Ca Choo

Space rock found on collision course with Earth

Mon Oct 06, 2008 11:26 pm

For the first time, astronomers have found an object on a certain collision course with Earth. Fortunately, it is so small it is not expected to cause any damage, burning up in the atmosphere somewhere above northern Sudan in the wee hours of Tuesday morning. It may, however, produce a brilliant 'shooting star'.

The space rock, dubbed 2008 TC3, was first spotted on Monday...

If it disintegrates all at once, it would produce a bright flash of light and a loud sonic boom, says Chesley.

This space rock is so small it is unlikely to cause any damage. "The only concern is that [the explosions] might be interpreted as something else, that is man-made explosions. Thus in this case, the earlier the public worldwide is aware that this is a natural phenomenon, which involves no risk, the better," Milani's team wrote on a popular astronomy listserv.

http://space.newscientist.com/article/d ... news_rss20

keezel
Jedi Bastard

Re: Space rock found on collision course with Earth

Wed Oct 08, 2008 1:10 am

Egaladeist wrote:This space rock is so small it is unlikely to cause any damage under normal circumstances. Unfortunately it is heading directly for the Hadron Collider, and will very likely create a massive super-dense black hole that will CONSUME US ALL!!! RUN AWAY!!!
Only amateurs attack machines; professionals target people. Bruce Schneier

Aspman
Frustrated Mad Scientist

Wed Oct 08, 2008 10:18 am

Luckily the LHC is kaput right now.

Engineers are on route from a parallel universe to fix the fault
"Man will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest."
- Denis Diderot (1713-1784)

Shippwreck
I've posted HOW many

Thu Oct 09, 2008 8:09 pm

LOL... I got an e-mail the other day about the LHC... i'll have to dig it up and post it here ;)
Google is god... of the internet :mrgreen: