Arthur C Clark RIP

If you have something interesting to say as a writer and it's readable...why not put it here so we can enjoy it with you...

Arthur C Clark RIP

Postby Aspman » Wed Mar 19, 2008 10:50 am

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/7304004.stm

British science fiction writer Sir Arthur C Clarke has died in Sri Lanka at the age of 90.

The Somerset-born author came to fame in 1968 when short story The Sentinel was made into the film 2001: A Space Odyssey by director Stanley Kubrick.

Sir Arthur's vision of future space travel and computing captured the popular imagination.

Sri Lankan President Mahinda Rajapakse paid tribute, hailing the writer as a "great visionary".

An aide said Clarke died at 0130 local time in what had been his homeland since 1956 after a cardio-respiratory attack.

"Sir Arthur has left written instructions that his funeral be strictly secular," his secretary, Nalaka Gunawardene, was quoted as saying by news agency AFP.

"Absolutely no religious rites of any kind, relating to any religious faith, should be associated with my funeral," she added.
"Man will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest."
- Denis Diderot (1713-1784)
Aspman
Frustrated Mad Scientist

Postby SirDice » Wed Mar 19, 2008 11:34 am

Oliver's Law:
Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.
SirDice
I've posted HOW many

Postby Shippwreck » Wed Mar 19, 2008 11:57 am

Oh god... only on the TAZ do we fight over who posted an obituary first!
Google is god... of the internet :mrgreen:
Shippwreck
I've posted HOW many

Postby THE Doctor » Wed Mar 19, 2008 3:33 pm

yeh I was gunna post.. but was too distraught.. Work for the week ended today.. and dont have to start until next thursday.. some CS time....

so can I join this argument.. I saw it in the news first... nah!!
.. The trouble with life is there's no background music..

Remember Grasshopper: The original point and click interface was a Smith & Wesson.
THE Doctor
Ex Und3rtak3r from OZ

Return to Writer's Block