[REVIEW] Symphony of Ages Trilogy by Elizabeth Haydon

If you have something interesting to say as a writer and it's readable...why not put it here so we can enjoy it with you...

[REVIEW] Symphony of Ages Trilogy by Elizabeth Haydon

Postby cgkanchi » Tue Dec 18, 2007 1:55 pm

I've just finished reading the Symphony of Ages series by Elizabeth Haydon. The original series consists of three books, "Rhapsody: Child of Blood", "Prophecy: Child of Earth" and "Destiny: Child of the Sky", which I have reviewed below. There are three further books in the series that don't directly deal with the same events, and I've yet to read these two.

The books deal primarily with three principal characters, a beautiful minstrel, an ugly (former) assassin and a massive army seargent who are thrown together by fate and make a journey through (!) the centre of the earth and to the other side. In the process they gain several unique powers and because they have crossed over to the other side of the world, they also become immortal. On getting to the other side, they find that the journey has taken them 1500 years, and that their island home was destroyed 1400 years ago. The three then get embroiled in the politics and intrigue of the refugees from the island (who are also immortal or close to it).

The series has a little bit of everything; mystery, epic stories, romance, war, intrigue and action are all represented and placed in a rich, well populated fantasy world. The main characters are well fleshed out, and the principal female character's love interest is intriguing and well thought out. That the whole series is written from a female perspective only helps make it fresher and more interesting. That said, the series does have its negative points, dragging occasionally and often failing to keep the reader's attention. This gets particularly bad towards the end of the third book and only my compulsion to finish the book got me through the last 50 pages or so. All in all, I'd give the series 7/10 and say that it's well worth the read. However, it isn't an instant classic, and I certainly wouldn't read it again.

Cheers,
cgkanchi
Buy the Snakes of India book, support research and education (sorry website has been discontinued)
My blog (shameless plug, I know): http://biology000.blogspot.com
cgkanchi
Supertazzerfraggerlistic

Postby DaFoxx » Tue Dec 18, 2007 3:37 pm

I just added the [REVIEW] to the title
it should make searches a little easier in time :)
Beware of Geeks bearing GIF's :mrgreen:
DaFoxx
DaBOSS

Return to Writer's Block