On The Beach

If you have something interesting to say as a writer and it's readable...why not put it here so we can enjoy it with you...

On The Beach

Postby Elsparrow » Mon Jul 17, 2006 7:51 pm

I spent most of yesterday and this morning reading this.

Its by Nevil Shute..... and its a damn freaky wake up call.

Basically for those who haven't read or heard of it, its based in 1963, just after a Nuclear war involving the northern hemisphere (Russia, China, England etc and mainly using Hydrogen and Cobalt bombs), in Falmouth, Australia near Melbourne.

Basically this Nuclear fallout is drifting south, gradually killing everyone and everything from the high radiation levels.

Melbourne is is the last major city to be hit by this fallout and as you can imagine, the book ends with the fallout hitting the city..... and everyone suffering from Radiation sickness.

Reading the last chapter made me have tears in my eyes (which is pretty hard for books to do) as one by one all the characters you have followed through the book die off, pretty much all of them by a Cyanide pill than suffer the full brunt of radiation sickness.

And whats worse is that book still makes an impact today as it did when it was first written. We still have a threat of Nuclear Warfare. North Korea openly has nuclear weapons, the US, Russia and UK have them as well (even if not admitted) and all it takes is a rogue leader to launch a couple for us to reach a situation like in this book.

And whats worse is, the sickness in the book is what we will suffer as well.

If you haven't read it, read it. Recognise we are never safe as long as Nuclear weaponry still exists as it can easily wipe life off the Earth.

I was lucky. I was born in October 1986. Earlier in the year of 1986, the Chernobyl power plant in the former USSR (now the country of Ukraine), exploded, killing loads round the area from radiation sickeness. As my parents lived in Norfolk at the time and the radiatoion was heading towards the UK I could of been affected by this.

Shame its taken 19 years, 9 months and 10 days and 1 book for me to realise just how lucky I am to of not been affected and how lucky I am to be in this world.
Elsparrow
In with the out crowd

Postby THE Doctor » Tue Aug 15, 2006 8:35 am

You know Els.. many of us dont realise how lucky we are.. and that includes the people who've had a great deal of adversity..

we are here now, we are alive, and inspite of the gloom that is presented on the 6o'clock whe DO have a great future ahead of us.. this is true wether your 19 or 89..
I am greatful for all the things that didnt happen because I have been spared, and for the things taht did.. for they have forged me into who I am..

A book that helped turn my life around..i am still to finish.. No Excuse .. you may not be ready for it and may never be I wasnt thats why I havent finished(it is the self help/motivational type)

[size=0]this is really so the reader dosent think that j_K9 is a --dumbass-- for posting after this[/size]
.. The trouble with life is there's no background music..

Remember Grasshopper: The original point and click interface was a Smith & Wesson.
THE Doctor
Ex Und3rtak3r from OZ

Return to Writer's Block